I think I'm in love...

Author: Liz / Labels: , ,

...or "knitting challenge #2."


I have had this hank of yarn wasting away in the bottom of my stash for over a year patiently waiting for me to make it all color-y and pretty. I finally did it this past weekend -- I dyed my first hank of yarn. If you don't count the few times that I have tie-dyed, this was my very first foray into dying and I think I could VERY easily be hooked!

It took most of a Sunday, but here's how it went:

1. Re-skeining the yarn. I decided to double the length of the hank that the yarn came in and, lo and behold, my dining room table was basically perfect. Granted, I do recommend keeping any curious furry-little-creatures-who-hunt away from this process!


2. Soaking. Not very exciting, I admit. But it was kinda a cool pic so I had to include.Looks sorta like spaghetti, no?

3. Ahhh....the color. The first attempt at anything should always include your favorite things, right? Hence, big, bold, red! I used Wilton's Red-Red gel food coloring -- a lot of it. Over the course of the afternoon, I used 1 and a half containers!

4. Straight from the pot, before the rinse.
I tried a combination of dip-dying and what I guess is called the hot-pour method. When I was about halfway through the yarn in the dip dying fashion, I poured more dye over what was still heating in the crockpot to achieve a really strong kettle dye effect. Hard to tell in this pic tho.

5. The Finished Product.
I'm incredibly anxious to see how this actually knits up. But that's an entire different story! Must finish current projects first.

2 comments:

NextVanGogh said...

Ah what fun! I'll have to do more dying this summer. It's nice to be able to hang to dry outside.

Robin said...

Wow - looks lovely- Red and Purple are my fav colors- you've inspired me to try dying. I've been avoiding it. more stuff to buy.